Realizing that my version of magento is WAY out of date, I decided to attempt to upgrade to 1.9. (And eventually to 2.0). Following this guide:
Below steps also should work
Upgrade Roadmap for CE 220.127.116.11 from 1.6
1) take a backup of current database and current 1.6 code.
2) download latest magento from the http://www.magentocommerce.com/download
3) remove all folders and files from your 1.6 code (but you should have backup somewhere) and place all folders and files from the 1.9.
4) now from your 1.6 merge your following folders into the 1.9
– Community app/code/community
– Local app/code/local
– your theme or package (app/design/frontend/default/<ur theme> or app/design/frontend/<your package>)
– custom folders from Skin (both for adminhtml and frontend).
– copy your custom xml files from app/etc/modules/ to current app/etc/modules/
– any custom admin theme folder from adminhtml/default/yourtheme.
– copy your custom folders from adminhtml/default/default/ (1.6) to adminhtml/default/default/ (1.9).
– custom js files if any from app/js/.
5) now go to app/etc/local.xml.Edit database details their.put your database username and password and database name.
6) now check the site.it done.
enter code here
Also upgrade can done with Magento Connect as described in the link